Friday, March 19, 2010

He Is Bigger Than My Problem!

Sometimes, don't you just wish you could escape? Get away from . . . life? Detach yourself from those situations that you're way over your head in? I tend to echo Scarlette O'Hara from "Gone with the Wind."

"I won't worry about that today. I'll worry about that tomorrow."

In a way, I suppose this could be both good and bad.
Good in the sense that my emotions don't come into play so much, until I'm forced to think about it. . . And often, when emotions dictate your actions, not-so-good things result.
However, this Scarlette O'Hara attitude is bad in the sense that it's running, instead of confronting. You can run, but you can't hide. Right when you think you're at a safe place - you turn around to find at least a dozen more issues ready to getchya!
In my literature class recently, we've been studying the poetry of Virgil. In his "Eclogues," he talks about the ease and pleasures of farm life . . . and how wonderful it is to get away. It seems to consistantly be the case that whatever I'm going through in real life, somehow the issue comes up in class. If only my teacher knew!
Back to Virgil.
People from the city often long for greener pastures . . . To be free from the fast-paced stress of living urban. I've never been a city girl - I'm much happier living on a ranch. I suppose that concurs with my "escapism" mindset. I tend to want to retreat to the "greener pastures" in my mind, instead of living life and dealing with the struggles as they come.
The wonderful thing about my weaknesses is that Gods glory is shown to be even greater in comparison.
Matthew 6:30 says, "and if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?"
Good question. Why do I have so little faith?
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." ~Philipians 4:6-7
When I trust in Him, I don't have to shrink away from problems. I can face them with Christ as my strength. By pushing away my troubles instead of dealing with them and praying about them, it is defying God's sovereignty. Defying His ability to overcome MY struggles!
Right now, I'm facing a certain difficulty in my life . . . one that I am very tempted to ignore. I'm tempted to run to green pastures, and not live in the season God put me in. Taking things into my own hands sometimes seems like the right answer (to me!) . . . But He is bigger than my problem.

Lord, make me trust, make me see what it is you want me to do. Help me to take things as they come, and lay them at the foot of the cross. I want to surrender to you, Father - but even surrendering I cannot do in my own strength. Enable me, Lord. Amen.

~Lauren Lee

"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
~1 Peter 5:7

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...