Saturday, August 13, 2011

Are You Oblivious to the Obvious?

I came across these the other day and thought they were pretty hilarious!

On package of peanuts: "Warning, contains nuts." 

On a chain saw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands."
On a household iron: "Never iron clothes while they are on your body.”
On a fireplace log: "Caution, risk of fire." 

On a laser print cartridge: "Do not eat." 

On a baby stroller: "Remove child before folding." 



These things seem pretty obvious to the average Joe Schmo. I’d never think to iron my clothes while they’re on my body, or stop a chain saw with my hands! Yet, some major corporations see fit to put these very distinct, very clear warnings on their products. They make sure that they TELL you what not to do!

Sometimes, I wish God were like that. As New Covenant Christians, we don’t have a set of rules to follow. At least, true Christianity doesn’t. Sure, there are things that are blatently condemned, such as heresy and blasphemy - but those aren’t things a Christian would desire anyways.

I’m talking about every day living.
I’m talking about decisions that plague us about our futures, our relationships, our activities, and our work.

It would be way easier if God would just spell it out. I know I can’t always seem to hear his voice amid the chaos I know to be life. As I look at the silly product warnings above, I can stop laughing because I wish God made things just as obvious in my life as the fact that I shouldn’t eat a laser print cartridge. Why can’t decisions just be . . . crystal clear?

At some point in your life, you’ll be faced with a time where you don’t know which path He wants you to take. His voice might sound muddled, and trust me . . . It will be frustrating. There have been so many times where I’ve just begged God to TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO!

.....

And then I realize. He has been telling me. It has been obvious.

I just haven’t been listening.

As my Father, God deserves my special attention. I often come across the blogs of so many lovely young Christian women who focus their attention on "honoring their fathers" and becoming the best homemakers they can. That is a goal I have often wished to pursue, yet, cannot in the physical sense. At least that first part about honoring fathers. :) It's something that pains me . . . I WISH I had that priviledge! Young ladies listen up: If you do have a Dad, don't take it for granted (sorry - rant).

Something I've realized however, is that even though I don't have a Dad, I still have the responsibility to honor my Father. Just as young ladies must listen to and heed their biological father's instruction, so I must do with my heavenly Father. He is that presence in my life! Am I to ignore his voice?


It wasn't an easy thing to realize. Staying "in tune" with God as much as I would stay in tune with an earthly father was a pretty big transition. After all, I couldn't hear my Dad - or see Him. Suddenly, my entire understanding of human communication rendered itself useless. I had to completely reorient myself, so I could not only communicate with -- but honor, and obey a spiritual Father, who had real things to say about every aspect of my life! Once I began to feel the presence of God as tangibly in my life as I did my Mom or my sister who sat next to me at the breakfast table each morning, could I truly understand, even if in a small sense, what it meant to be a "child" of God.

Romans 8:14 says, "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

Isn't that beautiful?

It is a blessed and joyful path to know what God wishes for your life, and for your decisions. The way can in fact be clear, if you take the time to listen!

1. Meditation.
Take time to talk with God. I know that I so enjoy the time I spend in deep conversation with my Mom - she always has such amazing words of insight! Shouldn't I do the same with my Father? The almighty God of the universe, who "cares to know my name"? Furthermore - who cares about every decision I make?

2. Listen to Your Conscience
Isaiah 31:21 describes the voice of God via our conscience:
"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in." There it is - plain and simple! The voice of God will be heard through that still small voice.

3. Write Down Your Prayers
I've done this for a while now... And every time I look back through prayers that I've written in the margins of my Bible, I'm reminded how God answered those prayers. My father has answered so, so, so many of my prayers.

All this to say... Don't be oblivious to the obvious. Take a little more time to realize the voice of God - the most IMPORTANT voice in your life! :)

~His Daughter

P.S. -- Here's a great sermon about learning how to hear God. Take an evening sometime and listen to the whole thing. It is fantastic.

Four Keys to Hearing God's Voice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our God is so awesome... Thank you for sharing, Lauren!

Nina said...

Thanks so much for sharing this... I just read an Oswald Chambers devotional this morning that was on this very subject. I know I far too often neglect to listen to that "still, small voice"... to truly listen and rely upon my Father's guidance. This post is just what the Lord is reminding me of right now. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...