Sunday, August 28, 2011

How to Eat an Elephant

Believe it or not, dear readers . . . I am an old person. My college application process begins, well, now. It's hard to believe that this is my last year as a home-schooler. As I fondly look through all the years of utter devotion on the part of my Mother, I remember countless laughs, science experiments gone wrong, "field trips" to Riley's Farms, the time I wrapped up my sister in toilet paper because I was learning about the Egyptian Mummies . . .
It's sad to think it's almost over.

Before me stands a new challenge. College.

I know that many of my sisters-in-Christ have chosen not to take that path, they prefer to nurture their home-skills and learn through online classes through their college years. There are numerous reasons I chose to physically attend a 4-year-university, and one of these days I will devote a post specifically to the purpose of explaining why. But for now: It's my conviction that the Lord is growing and moving me from the mission field of "home", though I will always, always feel a place here to be His servant.

Please be praying for me during this time! It is intimidating and quite frankly, overwhelming. I'm applying to over 20 colleges, and thus find myself buried in essays and SAT prep. But I am so grateful for the opportunity, and am devoted to putting my all into it. While it may seem like an impossible feat, I'll get it done.

How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time. ;)



(He doesn't look very happy about that.)

Everything, if we let it, can seem overwhelming. But if we take consistent steps, even if they're just baby steps, we can reach our goals. It's not in the things we choose to do - it's our persistence in doing it. It's running the race.

With that, I put on my running shoes, and will be extremely busy for the next three months. However, I hope to still find plenty of time to find refuge and rest in this blog, in the company of my dear sisters who keep me strong and motivated, and of course in Him who is the source of all strength.

post signature



4 comments:

Moe said...

I am really hopeing your college application-ing goes really well... and that it will not be too stressful.

Those colleges had better realize what a good and hard working candidate you are!! Anybody would be extremely blessed to have you attend their college :).

Moe

Aimee said...

Wow, over twenty colleges! I thought my list of 12 was long...! Well good luck with applications. =)

Mary Catherine said...

just keep plugging through it, Lauren!
college is amazing :)

Lauren Lee Fischer said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Moe and Aimee! I appreciate it. Mary Catherine -- so sweet to see your name pop up, here! Miss you, girl. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...